Monday, July 13, 2009

courage.

im realizing more and more that courage is something i lack. 


i dont think that i have ever had a problem with it until now (or the past few years). maybe its because ive grown up a little bit, or maybe its because ive begun to care more about how people look at me.

isnt that somehow backwards though? arent you supposed to care so much more about what people think of you when you're young and trying to fit in?

i rarely cared before about what i wore, how i looked, if i would get hurt while sky diving, driving on the freeway, calling people i didnt know, etc.

now im more than apprehensive about most of those things. maybe not so much those sort of trivial things, but things that will help me progress. things that will matter ten years from now.

i think im afraid of failure more than i thought. 
im a graphic artist, but im afraid of how people will perceive what i do, so i dont put it out for the world to see. i dont try.

maybe thats it. maybe im just lazy.

no i think im scared. i lack courage.

i lack courage with my job, my schooling, my calling. so i dont progress as much as i should.

i guess i need to take a good look and search hard for it.


i dont mean for this to be an extremely dreary post as it has become. i have just been thinking about it for the past few days. i think writing it down makes me understand it a little bit better.

much love to you all
i am happy i promise. i am just a chicken and need to try something new.
im overcoming a fear by posting something so weird yet personal! :)

x0x0
 

5 comments:

Joni said...

Hi, my name is Bruce,
Hi Bruce...... Hey guess what? You are just growing up and have more to care about now. You have a husband and someday you will have a family and the choices you make now will effect them. Sorry that you feel you lack courage because I think you are very courageous. Who else would go across the country not knowing anyone and have as much fun as you and Sam. Look at what you accomplish with all of your talents and skills. When you feel scared and nervous it just means these things are new to you and your not used to them. Keep doing them and pretty soon they are not a new thing or feeling. It becomes so much easier. Always remember your husband,family and friends love you no matter what. And truely that is all that matters. Heavenly Father does even more. I love you, Mom

Taig said...

yeah, you were kinda weird in highschool :) but i love saying you are my sister. kyrst. you amaze me in everything you do. you are such an inspiration to all, especially me. i love you!

Melissa said...

I'm actually so glad you posted this Kyrsten. I think I needed to hear it too. As we get older I think there are a few more things to be fearful of, so its not necessarily backwards, it just adds to the confusions and challenges of growing up. A lot of people don't really think of courage as a principle of the gospel, but it truly is. I gave a lesson about it several months ago and I would strongly recommend reading President Monson's talk "A Call for Courage." It's great. I was surprised to read this post from you because I think you are a superb and outstanding example of courage. Many people don't and can't do some of the things you've done in their entire lifetime (let alone 21 years). Admitting on your blog that you feel scared is in and of itself a very brave thing. Thanks for showing courage and sharing this. It's a great motivator and inspiration for others and a good reminder for you to someday look back on. Love ya Kyrst!

Tresa & Norman said...

Just read your blog about courage. Don't think for a moment that you are alone in your thinking. I can truthfully say that I think everyone has that same feeling at one time in their life. As I look back a long time ago, I think I had the very same feelings that you have. And as the years have gone by, there have been family, very good friends and Heavenly Father to help me along the way. The road isn't easy sometimes, but faith does wonders and it helps pull you up by your boot-straps and besides you have Sam who is a wonderful person to have by your side, so just keep doing what you are doing and your confidence will grow and so will your faith and your love for everyone. We are here to help!!!! Love ya, Grandma Tresa

Unknown said...

I always love personal posts the best. They are more revealing and insightful and always speak to someone. I definitely hear you on this one.