Tuesday, March 15, 2011

stubborn as they come.


dad.
something that i love/hate is how stubborn you were.
i got that VERY trait from you.
there were many times in my older years that you and i would have our 'arguments' aka me screaming at the top of my lungs.

i would stomp my feet in protest when you didnt want me to go to that boy-girl party or the many times my friends were heading to a concert without me, but i know that your 'stubbornness' was actually just a dad who unconditionally loved his daughter.

you were so black and white. oh boy were you black and white. most the time it drove me crazy (because we both know im as gray as they come) but im so happy you stood your ground.

i always always knew what you thought was right. and lets be honest... most of the time it was.
i may have hated how right you were then, but now, i couldnt be more thankful.

you were a righteous man, who stood up for what you believed in.
i never questioned your faith.
i never questioned your love.
i am forever thankful for the man who taught me to make good decisions by thinking through them- not just flying by the edge of my pants.... maybe someday ill actually catch on to that one.

i love you dad. i hope your teachin' and preachin' just like you were always doing here.
happy birthday.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm totally sure he is!

Erin said...

happy 50th to your dad! i love when you share your memories . . . and that is a great picture too :)

Brandon and Brianne said...

ok this picture makes me totally cry, it makes me sad to say but this is how I Really Remember your dad, after I moved I feel like I missed out on so many memories I could have built with you and your family and I just really didnt see your dad much, but I am indeed grateful for the ones I do have! This picture also makes me think of the Scott Hansen Shoulder hug! haha oh I loved those... This side hug or more of a squeeze always made me feel loved. My favorite one was a few days after my dads sentencing and he didnt say a word to me just snuck to my side wrapped one arm around me and squeezed...surely made a girl feel the love of a dad I so desperately needed at that time. :) Love you Kirk...and I miss our dads...

The Millers said...

It looks like your Dad's stubbornness paid off made you an incredible person so maybe it isn't a bad trait to have! I missed you at the dinner last week!

Taryn said...

he was one tough cookie!

stephani said...

happy birthday to your daddy yesterday! i love reading your stories about your dad. so special. you are an amazing woman miss kyrsten and one that ANY dad would be proud of! LOVE YOU!

MyrLynn said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad! I LOVE reading your blog. I wish I could write my feelings down as well as you and Taryn do.