Friday, April 1, 2011

a sister named taryn.


i have an older sister named taryn.
today is her birthday.
she is old {25} but i feel like she should be older.
maybe because she was always like a second mom to me.
sometimes i liked that. most times i didnt...
especially when we were in high school.
she was responsible. i was a brat.
i never wanted to listen to her.
even though i didnt like to listen to her, i loved being around her, i always wanted her approval, and i always wanted to be doing exactly what she was doing.
i still do.


we always had a lot of fun together. even when her and lacy shepis wouldn't let me play barbies with them in the sewing room of the basement.
we played on the swings and the tramp all the time. {my mom really liked to dress us alike}
taryn liked to tan on the tramp. i pretended like i did too because i wanted to be doing what she was... truth is it was BRUTAL for me.
tt {thats what i always called her} and i {kk} creative i know... are so different from each other. she is much more reserved and classy and well... im often too loud and eccentric! but i know that she loves me even still. and i love her.

"A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves - a special kind of double." ~Toni Morrison

i love to talk to taryn whenever i have a chance. anytime anything exciting or not so exciting happens she is one of the very first people to know.

"What's the good of news if you haven't a sister to share it?" ~Jenny DeVries

we would fight like animals sometimes. especially when it came to clothes. we had a rule in our house that if you had something new the other sister couldn't wear it until you had... sometimes we would break that rule. that was the basis of most of our fights.

"If your sister is in a tearing hurry to go out and cannot catch your eye, she's wearing your best sweater."~Pam Brown

there is a funny story from my high school days... i went through this weird stage in life where i liked to sit on the floor of my bedroom {in the dark} listening to loud music. quite strange i know. one day while doing said activity my mom throws open the door, flips on the light and sternly asks, "Kyrsten! Are you doing DRUGS???"hahhaha i about laughed my tooshie off... i yelled at taryn to come and hear what my mom just asked me! we couldnt stop laughing. {and NO i wasnt doing drugs!}

"When mom and dad don't understand, a sister always will." ~Author Unknown

i am forever grateful for the treasure i call my sister. she has always been one of my very best friends and im so lucky to have that relationship grow and strengthen as we get older!

"A sister is a forever friend." ~Author Unknown

i love you tt! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

kk

5 comments:

Taryn said...

Thank you sis! You are too kind. I hope I can always try to be half as good a sister as you are :) Love ya!

Taig said...

i better get a good birthday post too! happy birthday sissy! love you!

The Millers said...

Taryn is an awesome sis! You are lucky to have eachother!

Jenna said...

love this post. taryn is such a sweetie. i was always so grateful for her example in cheerleading and high school. she was so responsible. love you two sisters!

Stephensen's said...

Can't imagine life without sisters, how dreadful:) Plus Taryn is one sweet sister to have. ANywho... will you please come over to my houe for dinner! I have been thinking about you and would love to have you over. We basically live in a little.. well.. sweat shop, but I promise to (try) have delicious food! my email is hbugs7@gmail.com