Saturday, August 7, 2010

because nice matters.

my dad, my hero passed away on sunday, july 25th.

he was very sick. very tired. but even still, he kept his humor. he has always been positive. but i have been so amazed by the way he has dealt with the awful trial of cancer these past 4 years.

i have been overwhelmed with the kindness of people in the past 2 weeks. people have come out of every direction to give my family their love and support.

a few years back my mom found some signs at the dollar store and bought one for each of us. the sign said
- because nice matters-

it does.

and i have seen how much it matters. the theme of my dad's funeral (in my eyes) centered around this saying.

my dad spent his life serving others. whether he was serving the youth at highland on the basketball court, in the class room, on the football field or on the softball field he was giving his time and his talents to better the lives of those around him.

i have heard numerous stories of the kids he bought basketball shoes for, waived camp fees, or bought lunch for.

my dad served hundreds of young adults while serving in the university stake for around 10 years of his life. helping each one in a very vital time of their lives.

but the most important people he served were us-his family. i know without any doubt that my dad loved me. he told me frequently. and he showed me. he wanted what was best for us. he gave us all he could and he worked hard for everything we have.

im very sad. this has been such a hard time for me. but i know he is happy. he is healthy and he is doing a great work.

families are forever.

i wish i could express how i feel. but it is impossible.










im thankful that i can look to my dad and understand what it means to live a good life.

because nice matters. i have been given a renewed sense of the worth of others. my dads viewing, funeral and the many cards, prayers and thoughts on my families behalf have shown me how important it is to be kind to others. nice really does matter.

i could say that in a world of cynics, nice matters more than ever. but ive seen so much good in people that i almost dont believe that cynics exist anymore.

for this i am thankful. i am thankful that my Heavenly Father is helping me learn. he is teaching me in trials to have faith and believe that life is still good. even when i feel so uncertain.

the program at the funeral had the words, 'well done good and faithful servant.'
i dont think anything could describe the man my father was any better.

i really miss you dad. i will always look to you for guidance in my life.
i love you forever. eternity.

15 comments:

Ani said...

Oh, I am so so sorry. You Dad seemed like such a good man from all the posts about him. I can tell that you guys had a special relationship. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Hang in there. So thankful for the gospel, and especially the knowledge of eternal families.

Kasi Lee said...

I can certainly say that your dad has taught you well. I see his legacy in you so much as you are kind to others and aware of their needs. I hope your family is healing well and know that I will be praying for you.

Becky said...

What a beautiful post and testimony. And what an example of strength, courage, faith and hope you and your family are to so many of us out here. Your father was a dear friend to all of us and I am a stronger person for having known him. May the Lord continue to bless you with peace and comfort. Our prayers are with you daily. Hang in there. And my goodness your dad was handsome. What a heart throb.

Erin_C said...

such a beautiful post kyrsten. I heard the funeral was wonderful, to honor such a wonderful man. And such a great motto to live by.

Melissa said...

This made me cry. I loved your dad. He was very nice. Remind me sometime and I can tell you some stories of ways he touched my life. Please know you can call me anytime (241-3002). I have been having a very difficult time with the passing of my grandma and I know that's not the same thing, but my heart really goes out to you. I also think you should read the book, The Message (see my blog) because I think your dad will be acting as an answer to your prayers in years to come. It is a great book. Even though you think you didn't express yourself well in this post, I felt it. I love you Kyrst!

stephani said...

beautiful post Kyr. You are so strong.. I only hope I can learn to be as faithful and enduring as you are. I love the picture of you and your dad on your wedding day. Its absolutely priceless. I am always ready and able if you should need anything. Even just a hug. I love you. I am praying for you every day. And I hope that post on my blog was okay with you. I just wanted you to know I was thinking about you.

The Thompsons said...

Kyrsten, you are so amazing and I have always looked up to you. Your post was beautiful. I cannot even fathom what you and your family have gone through. It is amazing the hard things we all go through in life..and always knowing that the gospel and Heavenly Father are always there to lift us up and carry us through it is simply comforting. I love you and I wanted to tell you that I am sorry for not being a very good friend. You have always been their for me, and you are such a good person. I wish you the best with everything that you do, you deserve it. You are probably like, what the fist pump Hillary, why so serious?! :) LOVE YA

The Larsons said...

Kyrsten-
What a hard time it must be for you..You are so strong-Your whole family is! What an amazing example you are and will continue to be for those around you. Your Dad is missed, He was and still is a great guy! I remember countless times being over at your house and him making me laugh and being such a great example of strength. You have those same qualities and how lucky you are to carry those with you.

I feel your pain..and it will NEVER go away, BUT it does get better. I am ALWAYS here for you with anything you ever need!! I love you! Just think what kind of damage my Mom and your Dad are doing up in the spirit world. Party!haha Hang in there you are such a sweet friend/ little sis to me and I hope you know you are so loved!

MyrLynn said...

Love You! All of you are amazing and will make it through! I heard the funeral was wonderful. Our thoughts and prayers are sill with you all

Murdoch said...

What a beautiful post.

Unknown said...

I wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you and your family through all this. I heard the line at the viewing took 2 hours to get through and that the funeral was really touching. What an honor for you kids and your mom. I never had your dad as a teacher, but I've always heard what a great guy he was. The Gospel really is a blessing when times are tough. I hope you are hanging in there, I can't even imagine. I'll be thinking about you.

Vince and Ashley said...

Kyrsten, I am so sorry! Your Dad was an awesome man. Our prayers go out to you and your family in this time of need. You're a great person, Kyrsten and your Dad lives through you. Keep staying strong.

WeBeR FaM said...

Kyrsten that was such an awesome post. I have been so sad that I was not able to make it to the funeral. I had already moved to Washington. Your Dad was and is such an amazing guy. He will be missed by many people. I can't imagine what you and your family are going through. You guys have all been in my thoughts and prayers. It is so great that you have the gospel and that your testimony is so strong. Love you lots!

Camie and Beau said...

What an amazing post. Your dad was an amazing man. You follow after him well. I am thinking of you and your family and praying that you can continue to be comforted. I love the pictures...what good memories you have.

Hailey said...

I wish I knew what I could do for you and your family. If you know..let me know -k- Until then you are in our prayers. We love you guys and are such an example to us! Your dad was a great guy and may I say Goodlooking too! :)