Monday, May 30, 2011

this memorial day.

i know that memorial day is a day set aside to remember those heroic men and women who have fallen while defending our beautiful nation.

i know that many, many families have sacrificed by allowing their loved ones to be gone for months on end while they still have to deal with daily life without them.

i know that many, many families have had to say goodbye to their loved ones when they least expect it and when it is least convenient.

i know many families have had to bury loved ones prematurely.

for those who are, were or will be in the armed forces or who have family members serving i say thank you.

i am so grateful to live in such a miraculous nation. it is only through the many miracles wrought by our Heavenly Father that we are allowed to have so many freedoms.

and it is only because of those men and women willing to fight for those freedoms that we are able to have them now.

although this is a day to remember those who have fallen from war, i cant help but give the majority of my attention to my dad.

he did not fight for our country, but he was a good man. he did so many good things and helped to make others better. he was a husband, a father, a brother, a friend. a teacher, a coach, a leader.

like those families who have lost loved ones to the despair of war, i mourn for a man who lost his own war- cancer.
my dad has been gone for 10 months now. and i cant help but wish that i was sitting with my mom at his gravesite today.

i know she is sad. i know she misses him and i do too. more than i can properly convey. but i know that now he is fighting for a greater good on the other side. i truly believe that.

the past few weeks have given me the opportunity for a lot of reflection on my life and the way i have handled the trials i have been given. and although i dont feel like i have dealt with things the best way most of the time, i am beginning to appreciate that this is where my life is right now. and i cant always be sad about it. i can be sad that my dad isnt here experiencing the things that i want him to, but i cant be sad that he isnt in pain anymore.

i listened to a talk given by Brent L Top called "What is this thing that men call death" it was given at byu education week and is amazing. i feel like it has really helped me appreciate what a beautiful thing death really is. especially for those people who have lived a good, righteous life. which i believe my dad did.

and for that today i rejoice. instead of feeling sorry that my dad isnt here, i find joy that he lived a good life and is now in a place that he can give all of himself to the efforts that Heavenly Father wants him to do.


8 comments:

Liz said...

Kyrsten, You've done great at handling this trial. Most of us don't have to handle it until we are older. I have never met your dad, but you have done a great job of giving him a good memory!

Brandon and Brianne said...

Yours and your families strength never ceases to amaze me! I think it is great that you use this day to think about your dad, he was surely a hero to SO many!! I love you lots!

Melissa said...

Perfect Memorial Day post! Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with you... your dad lived a great life and I know he's still doing great things on the other side too!

Tresa & Norman said...

Kyrsten, I'm amazed at how two sisters can say in words what my heart is feeling. It was kind of like going through the motions today and feeling the feelings that we were all feeling 10 months ago. Yes there were a few tears but also happy smiles and Brittany left 2 cans of Coke. Flowers were beautiful. Rain came but for a little bit the sun came through and we knew Scott was smiling. Love ya.

Nicole, Ryan & Jett Wilder said...

What a touching post. Thanks for sharing. (and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress! you are so trendy and pretty!)

Taryn said...

Beautiful post, Kyrst. You really are a great writer! I will have to listen to that talk. It is amazing what a process grief is. 10 months later and we are still figuring it out. Probably still be doing the same thing ten years from now. The grave looked beautiful from the pictures. Wish we all could have been there. Love ya lots!

MollyLandonPhoto said...

Kyrsten, You are wise beyond your young life...I love to read your blog, It's very inspiring and I am so proud of your mama. Love you guys, bunches. Kathie

MollyLandonPhoto said...

Oh nuts, I guess Molly was on my computer last. anyway....I still love you and this is MoJo's mom.....:}